All the Queer Corners of the Internet

 In the 20 years since Peter and I first met, the internet has, uh, made some changes. Flash, for example, has gone the way of the Dodo. Myspace went into the West and Facebook arrived and joined forces with Sauron. Midi players both started and stopped being a thing. 

And while, yes, it's definitely a higher-stakes place to exist than the internet that gave us "Badger! Badger!" and icanhazcheezburger.com, I'd argue that doesn't necessarily make it worse. 

This is a post dedicated to my favorite queer, absurd little corners of the internet. 

1. Medical Twitter

Beyond my morbid fascination with all things pathophysiological (and my ultimate desire to become a doctor), I find medical twitter a hilarious, self-effacing, intelligent place to hang out. 



SOA/P: Situation, Observation, Assessment/Plan

2) Trans reddit

This place also knows how to make fun of itself and I love it. (If you can't tell, I'm all for people who know how to laugh at themselves). 


3) Support forums
Again, most of these are on Reddit, which is the biggest forum site that I know of, personally. Each forum is called a "subreddit" and there are gazillions of them. The ones I like to go to, though, are the ones for adults who are trying really hard to be adults despite having been raised by the equivalent of rabid weasels. Some of the subs include EstrangedAdultChildren, RaisedbyBorderlines, and MomforaMinute.

4) Kurzgesagt
Kurzgesagt (German for "Said quickly" or "In a Nutshell") is a brilliant Youtube channel that takes a difficult-to-grasp concept, like primary/secondary/tertiary immune responses, and puts it against cute cartoons with a soothing voice over. If it's scientific, they cover it. Nuclear fallout? Yup. False vacuum theory? Yep. Time dilation with regard to gravitational anomalies? Better believe it. 

5) Viking-Studies Twitter
Again, it's a small subset of Twitter, but it's passionate and friendly and violently opposed to the Nazi appropriation of their field. I'd recommend starting with following @judithjesch and going from there. 

There we are. My top five favorite strange little places of the internet. Your turn, Peter. :)



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

This post is just a test post.